Re: Heads-up: rpm 4.15 alpha coming to rawhide

On 6/12/19 12:12 PM, Jitka Plesnikova wrote:
On 6/11/19 6:33 PM, Petr Pisar wrote:
On 2019-06-10, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As per https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RPM-4.15, rpm 4.15-alpha
will be hitting rawhide soon. A soname bump is involved but Igor kindly
promised to handle rebuilding all dependent packages as part of the
change, so no further action required from others on that account.

There are some other things that will require actions from others however:

A pile of language-specific macros and scripts have been eliminated from
rpm upstream, notably %__python and %__perl and everything built around
them, such as %python_sitelib and %perl_sitelib and their relatives.
Python packages should be using the version specific macros already,
provided by respective pythonN-devel packages so this shouldn't be an
issue. On perl-side, those macros have been temporarily added to
redhat-rpm-config instead to avoid breaking things right now, later to
be moved to final destination in perl-macros or such.

Thanks for the heads up. Perl maintainers are deliberating an optimal
resolution now. We will come up with a proposal in a few days.
%{__perl} will be moved to perl-srpm-macros. Some packages use it in
list of
BuildRequires and so it has to be defined in buildroot when source rpm
is built.
%perl_sitearch and %perl_sitelib will be removed, because they are not used
in any spec file.
%perl_vendorlib, %perl_vendorarch, %perl_archlib and %perl_privlib will be
placed in perl-macros. To prevent the build failures, perl-macros will be
added as build-require to packages, which use the macros and doesn't
build-require perl-generators (it run-requires perl-macros).

Ok, sounds more or less the way I expected it to be.

%requires_eq isn't perl macro and it stays in redhat-rpm-config. The macro
is used only in samba.spec.

%requires_eq was considered somehow perl-related in upstream (due to whatever long forgotten history) but okay, even better if its not used in perl either. That way we can bury it into samba.spec and remove elsewhere, because it violates the "dont run rpm queries from spec" principle and we dont want to encourage such use by providing example.

Thanks for the swift analysis.

	- Panu -