Re: Kernel upgrades

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 8:29 AM Steven A. Falco <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/6/19 5:51 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
> > But it's worth keeping an eye on anomalies. There is the potential for
> > goofy things happening. Unrelated to this particular feature, rather
> > it was grub.cfg being updated, in cases where that update happened
> > very quickly followed by an immediate reboot, GRUB only saw the
> > previous grub.cfg. On journaled file systems, the new file gets
> > written out, and indicated only in the journal, and a particular set
> > of circumstances preventing the root fs from being cleanly unmounted
> > resulted in a hidden new grub.cfg that only became revealed after
> > journal replay by the kernel code. The GRUB code can't read file
> > system journals, so it was seeing the stale file as a result of
> > reading stale file system metadata without the benefit of reading the
> > journal. :P
>
> I may indeed have tripped over that a time or two.  I've had cases where strange things happened following a kernel update / immediate reboot.  Given the relative non-volatility of /boot, it's starting to make sense to use a plain ext2 fs for /boot rather than a more modern fs.
>
> If I ever have to reload this machine, I may switch to UEFI.  While I don't like the FAT filesystems, their simplicity has an advantage in this application.

The reality is, you can't disable UEFI on a UEFI computer. Legacy just
enables a compatibility support module on top of UEFI to present a
faux-BIOS to the bootloader and the kernel. I only recommend it if
there are UEFI bugs that can't be worked around, yet are masked by the
CSM. Any reputable vendor is responsive with firmware updates to
address the worst UEFI bugs. For laptops, not running UEFI natively
can also have negative power management side effects.

--
Chris Murphy