Re: Kernel upgrades

On 5/5/19 6:29 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 8:22 AM Steven A. Falco <stevenfalco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I just upgraded my machine from F29 to F30.  Now, whenever I install a new kernel, the new kernel does not automatically become the default.  In other words, when I reboot, the previous kernel is still chosen by grub2.
>>
>> I can manually choose the new kernel in the grub2 menu, at which point it _does_ become the new default.  I don't wind up at the "grub>" prompt, so I think grub2 itself is fine.  It is just that the grubenv is not updated when the new kernel is installed.
>>
>> The machine has UEFI, but the system boots using the legacy BIOS compatibility layer.  I know that the boot mechanism changed a bit for F30, but I'm not sure where to look to identify the cause of this problem.  It doesn't seem to be the same issue as described in BZ 1652806.
>
> Post your /etc/default/grub file
>
> I'm willing to bet there's a line
>
> GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
>
> If so, delete that line or comment it out and then run the usual
> grub2-mkconfig and directing the output to the proper grub.cfg path
> for your firmware type.
>
> The default that should be honored is found in the grubenv file, which
> (curiously) is found at the same path no matter your firmware type:
> /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grubenv
>
> You can list its contents
>
> # grub2-editenv list
>
> And you can change it with
>
> #grub2-set-default <title of kernel>
>
> The title of the kernel is found in the /boot/loader/entries/*conf
> files - there is one file for each kernel.

Thanks for the explanation.  Here are the contents of /etc/default/grub.  As you suspected, there is a GRUB_DEFAULT=saved line in there.

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/mapper/fedora-swap rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.md.uuid=77ae1678:58a79067:c0ad29e6:bd1862f8 rd.md.uuid=bac1fa34:2d7a26e5:969d63ac:33ff4572 rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true

I looked for grubenv, and the only one I found is at /boot/grub2/grubenv.  There is nothing in /boot/efi/EFI/fedora.  This machine was set up on 2018-11-24, so it started life as a Fedora 29 machine.

Is there a command I should run to move grubenv to /boot/efi/EFI/fedora?  I think I would also have to create a symlink from /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grubenv to /etc/default/grub.  I could of course do it manually, but if there is a better procedure, like re-installing some package(s), that would be preferable.

	Steve