Re: Upgrade to F30 gone wrong

On 5/6/19 10:46 AM, Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
Le dimanche 05 mai 2019 à 12:33 -0400, Steve Grubb a écrit :
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 11:39:50 AM EDT Nicolas Mailhot via devel
wrote:
It would be nice to have a robust upgradeable bootloader setup. I'm
pretty
sure that ranks before having a pretty flicker-free boot to Fedora
users.
Pretty boot has been a workstation priority for how many releases
now?
Baring that, just having a reinstall bootloader option in rescue
mode would
go a long way to make this all less a PITA. Fedora has been doing
incompatible bootloader changes every few years for as long as I
remember

Rescue mode? I couldn't find it. All references I could find to a
rescue mode date back to 2013 or later.

You have a rescue mode on the generic (or network) install iso. That's
the swiss knife for rescuing Fedora systems that do not boot. You need
to work from the iso because if your bootloader is DOA… you can't do
anything from the installed system.

Which is all good, if it works. The Fedora 30 netinstall iso tracebacked and failed to find a single Linux filesystem out of ~10 on my system which had this issue. Fortunately F29 rescue image worked.

Should've filed a bug, but when your system is in a fast reboot loop prior to even getting to grub prompt, bug reports are not necessarily the first priority. That system started life as Fedora 15 or so, quite possible bootloader never updated since because ... well, there hasn't been any reason to do so, AFAIR.

This was by far the worst outcome of a distro-upgrade that I can remember, and I've done quite a few. Somebody said something about being victims of our own success, and there's a point in there: distro-upgrades have been so uneventful for such a long time that I admit, it never even occurred to me to look at the common bugs page before s*** hit the fan.

Unfortunately, while the rescue mode will usually find the installed
system, it does not know how to install a bootloader with current
Fedora defaults. You always need to dig up the current Fedora magic
from the internet. Which is a pity since the main reason people rescue
from the iso are boot problems

Yup. And when you add the confusion of UEFI and BIOS bootloader differences (for one, do 'dnf reinstall ..', for the other, do 'grub2-install', wtf? and documentated in a dark kernel-related corner somewhere) and the less technical people are out the door already, and even the more technical are halfway there.

Multiboot is always going to be a problem, but especially for simpler setups, /root/anaconda-ks.cfg provides more than just an educated guess as to where the bootloader might be lurking. The rescue mode could offer something based on that.

	- Panu -