Re: Upgrade to F30 gone wrong

On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 10:45 AM Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steve Grubb writes:
>
> > Rescue mode? I couldn't find it. All references I could find to a rescue mode
> > date back to 2013 or later. I would have liked a rescue mode because makes it
> > easy to just chroot into your actual system from the livecd. Seems like we've
> > lost something nice if its really been dropped.
>
> Somewhere around that era, installing Fedora added a grub menu entry for
> "Rescue" mode. I don't remember exactly what it was supposed to rescue, and
> how.
>
> It's been sitting in the grub menu ever since.
>
> I have a /boot/vmlinuz-0-rescue-f0fe67c2a80d43d2947358968ab5277e with a 2013
> timestamp. No idea which kernel it is. It appears to be immune to
> installonly_limit.

If you see the rescue kernel+initramfs menu entry though, you do not
have the bug under discussion, and you don't need to run
'grub2-install' - your GRUB is by definition functioning fine if you
see this menu entry.

As for what it is, this is a copy of the original kernel installed at
the time Fedora was installed by Anaconda. What makes it "rescue" is
actually the "no host only" initramfs which is a kitchen sink
initramfs that in theory will boot any hardware. The idea is, if you
add new hardware and suddenly can't boot, it's likely because the
normal "host only" initramfs doesn't have a kernel module for that new
hardware; and you can use the "rescue" option as a fall back to boot,
and then build a new initramfs for one of your newer kernels.

And you're correct, it is never updated. I filed a bug/rfe for dnf
system-upgrade about this some time ago, but got some push back on
where such function really belongs. And actually it shouldn't be just
any arbitrary kernel, ideally it'd be a reasonably well tested kernel
perhaps the same one we actually release with.

--
Chris Murphy