Re: dropping autogenerated dependency on pkg-config

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 3:49 PM Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczko.tomasz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 at 18:19, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [..]
>>
>> If we're going to go down this road, it should be
>>
>> BuildRequires: /usr/bin/pkg-config
>>
>> That's what's required for the dep generator to work, too.
>

> And what is wrong with just "BuildRequires: pkgconfig"?

That is no guarantee that '/usr/bin/pkg-config' will be provided,
which is required by the dep generator and various tools.

> Don't you see that this forces dependencies resolution to use packages files list?

This is free already, as that data is always part of the solver cache.

Besides, there is no ban on paths that are provided by primary.xml
(*/bin, */sbin, */lib(64|exec), /etc). The ban is basically pointless,
but that's what it is.

> IIRC Fedora already had policy to not use paths in BRs.

Outside of paths already provided in primary.xml, packagers SHOULD NOT, yes.