Re: How to install a mountpoint directory from an rpm?

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > >I need to install a directory (/afs) that will be a mountpoint that a systemd
> > >service (also installed in the rpm) will mount upon.
>
> Nope. New top-level directories are a big thing and need FPC approval:
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Packaging:Guidelines&oldid=528452#Filesystem_Layout
> (I can't find the text in the new guidelines, but the new guidelines don't
> support searching, so finding anything is PITA, so I'll just assume that
> this is still valid...)

I'm not entirely clear how I should go about requesting FPC approval.  It says
it is preferable that a ticket be filed in the packaging committee pagure - do
they mean to raise an issue, do you know?

> Regarding the FPC approval: I don't think it should be granted. There
> is no good reason to create a mount point like this under root.

Ummm...  There's ~35 years of history of use of /afs as a cross-platform
global namespace[*]; there are organisations, people, computers, scripts with
this as an expectation.  The Linux kernel now contains an AFS filesystem of
its own, written from scratch and now enabled in the Fedora kernel; to be
compatible with OpenAFS, AuriStor, Transarc, Arla it really needs the dynamic
root mounting on /afs.

Note that, for my purposes, /afs only needs to exist if the kafs-client
package is installed.

> It should go somewhere under /run or /var.

Well, I could mount it there, but then I'd really need a symlink or bind mount
at /afs to deal

Note the SELinux rules already have /afs as the mountpoint:

	matchpathcon /afs/
	/afs    system_u:object_r:mnt_t:s0

Thanks,
David