Re: Fedora, Packaging, Java, and Shrooms

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 17:24:46 -0500, you wrote:

>According to pkgs.org Fedora Rawhide doesn't even have a 32-bit JRE/JDK
>so i'm not sure why the designation is required. 32-bit has been on the
>way out for awhile now. If someone wants to make a 32-bit version they
>don't need to follow a distros naming convention.

According to Koji, Java is indeed still built in a 32bit version,

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1241271

>Fedora also packages nvidia-smi with CUDA libraries and that's wrong
>too. On both Windows and in Ubuntu nvidia-smi comes with the driver. The
>driver control panel is also included on both as well. nvidia-xconfig
>comes with the driver in Ubuntu.

Fedora doesn't package nvidia-smi - the binary Nvidia driver is not
allowed in Fedora.  If you have issues with how it is packaged then
take it up with the 3rd party providers who have packaged it.

But before you do so I suggest you take a look at the packaging
guidelines to see if there might actually be a valid reason for the
way things are done...

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/

>Because the JRE is derived from the JDK but there are use cases where
>just having a JRE standalone is of benefit. The JRE however is being
>killed off. Oracle no longer even distributes a JRE anymore with new
>Java versions.

What Oracle does or doesn't do isn't relevant, as Fedora is packaging
OpenJDK from sources, and has done so from the beginning of OpenJDK.

>This specific problem(which branched out of the alternatives one) here
>isn't with alternatives but with which the JRE and JDK are separated at
>the package level. I'm not even sure how as an end user/developer I'd
>even know -dlevel exists on Fedora Silverblue as dnf search doesn't
>exist and pkgs.org doesn't bring anything up. Is there an alternative
>for Silverblue?

If you spent some time learning Fedora, and how Fedora packages
things, or asked questions, you would learn/know that Fedora separates
out everything into a runtime package and a devel package.

Or alternatively explore koji.fedoraproject.org and see what packages
are created for each source rpm.

As for Silverblue, as mentioned it's a work in progress (and like any
open source project likely welcoming of assistance if that intersts
you).