Re: Fedora, Packaging, Java, and Shrooms

Ty Young wrote:
> Which it does but no alternatives show up even when downloading from
> Fedora's repos. Is there no post installation scripts that properly
> registers everything? If not, then how are there symbolic links in
> /etc/alternatives? What are they even for?

There are such post-installation scripts, but it looks like they are not
working in Silverblue. This is something that needs to be addressed in
Silverblue.

> Realistically speaking, is there ever going to be multiple versions from
> the same vendor distributed by Fedora?

32-bit vs. 64-bit is one example (which is why the directory names contain
the CPU architecture, e.g., x86_64).

>> No. If you just install the java-*-openjdk package, you get only the JRE
>> part of OpenJDK. The JDK part is in java-*-openjdk-devel.
>
> Which isn't clear by the package name. It's ambiguous.

This is how almost all software in Fedora is packaged: the main package
contains the files required at runtime, the -devel package the files
required to compile software against the package.

And the ambiguous naming is really upstream's fault, because there is no
such thing as "OpenJRE".

> Given the shift from distributing jar programs to modular app bundles one
> might reasonable expect any java implementation after Java 9 to include a
> full JDK by default which includes a full JRE. It isn't like anything is
> going to break by doing this because, again, the JDK is a JRE. Any non
> modeler programs will still work.

Modular Java programs do not need a full JDK either, a JRE is sufficient.
The full JDK is only needed to compile software from source.

> Is that really a good idea? There may be use cases where one might need
> different JRE and JDK of the same version. Java 8 jPackager(deprecated
> in newer Java versions) might for example allow a standalone JRE,
> reducing some dead weight as opposed to bundling with the full JDK.

This is supported by the alternatives setup. (It is the reason why there are
separate jre and jdk alternatives, though the latter tracks the former by
default, but you complained about exactly that complexity…) But what such
standalone JRE should Fedora ship? Again, there is no OpenJRE. We can only
ship the JRE subset of OpenJDK as the default JRE.

        Kevin Kofler