Re: Can we maybe reduce the set of packages we install by default a bit?

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 at 19:27, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hmm? Can you elaborate? Why does fwupd's runtime have something to do
> with display flickers? Not grokking the connection?

More information in
https://github.com/hughsie/fwupd/commit/75b965d01d80d70ae51816acd4d4cafdaf792e99
-- in the case of MST it's where a fake monitor gets created on the
hardware so the chip can wake up enough to tell us the current
firmware version, but the fake monitor causes a flicker for a couple
of reasons. I guess we could always just cache the last known version
in some database somewhere and just assume it's not changed, but if
we're not "alive" to see the device removal/insertion event we don't
know the true state of the hardware. If you're worried about the
startup speed or memory usage, we've been pretty keenly fixing both,
but if you have any specific concerns let me know.

Richard.