Re: Can we maybe reduce the set of packages we install by default a bit?

On Di, 09.04.19 10:11, Adam Williamson (adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Basically, anything that's part of the install environment is going to
> be present after a live install. That accounts for both of the above:
> the installer supports multipath and dmraid storage devices, so the
> relevant packages are part of the install environment, so they're part
> of the lives, so they're installed by a live install.

Hmm, but the installed OS is not 100% the same as the livesys, or is
it? If not, it should be possible to add a "systemctl disable
dmraid.service --root=/path/to/os" somewhere, no?

> To be specific here, 'at' is part of the @standard group. 'chrony'
> is

Yupp, it's very confusing that we have chrony and cronie in our OS
and both are installed by default... ;-)

> > I don't know on this. I remember something about containers and flatpaks
> > but .. I don't know.
>
> Boxes is a key component of Workstation, and it relies on libvirt. It's
> in the 'Core Applications' definition of the Workstation tech spec:

Hmm, but boxes supposedly uses the user session version of libvirt,
no? it doesn't actually use the system service?

I mean, I am even fine if that gets instaleld by default and is
listening on a local IPC socket, but why does it have to run all the
time? activation by socket and exit-on-idle should be fine too.

Very similar is actually "fwupd", why does that need to run all the
time? Seems like something that should be bus activatable, and
exit-on-idle, but why run it all the time?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin