Fedora 30 Beta Silverblue Feedback

Hi,

I didn't see a Silverblue specific mailing list and Fedora 30 is a beta so hopefully this is right. If it isn't, where is the appropriate place?

Firstly I'd like to just say that the idea behind Fedora Silverblue is really amazing. My understanding it's more orientated for containers and the like however even for general desktop usage it's incredibly useful as a recovery mechanism from things like bad GPU driver installs. Indeed, after a failed attempt to build the driver using a guide[1] I was left with a broken system on reboot. I then picked the lowest(first) boot ostree boot option from within GRUB and I was back to a usable system with the open source Nvidia drivers. No other Linux distro is capable of doing this as far as i'm aware(or do by default anyway).

Question: is the limit of alternative ostree(s) limited to 5? I noticed that after 5 I was reduced back to 2, both with the Nvidia GPU driver. Can that be changed? Is there a way to rename them to automatically rename them so it's more clear what changed?

(If you're wondering why I was build the driver it was because I missed the bold text in the guide. Using that instead worked just fine.)

However, there are serious issues with Fedora 30 Beta Silverblue(and maybe standard workstation?) with software repositories. On first boot, software center will display software and updates(and even be downloadable and installable) however and error message will popup saying that it can't create/read/writeto a directory(I don't have the specific text, sorry). Software repositories are listed in gnome-software as expected.

After rebooting all the software repositories are gone and checking for updates gives the error message saying that packagekit timedout doing a searchbypackagename or something like that. No software repositories show up in gnome software anymore. Gnome-software was very slow as well.

There seems to be an issue with Steam(flatpack edition) where it doesn't run at all. It spits out a libGL error saying that:

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

even with both 64 and 32 bit drivers installed. Am I missing something here?

Flicker free boot only seems to work with the open source drivers... and even then it has some issues. When restarting, graphical glitching can be observed at the top of the screen followed by a brief black screen and then the shutdown animation screen. Booting the system up using the Nvidia driver causes the 3 square images to be misaligned so that it's part way between the top left of the screen and the middle with no Fedora logo which I assume is supposed to be in the middle with a logo...

And finally, I don't know who builds the Nvidia driver(probably community like AUR?) for Fedora but could you please stop splitting the standard Nvidia libraries and tools into different packages? I have an OC utility which depends on:

nvidia-smi

nvidia-settings

nvidia-xconfig

but only nvidia-settings is included with the standard driver despite both Windows including nvidia-smi and their Windows alternative to nvidia-settings(Nvidia Control Panel) with the driver and Ubuntu including all 3 with the driver. This isn't a case of just someone thinking it's wrong, there is actual precedent showing that it's wrong. In order to get nvidia-smi you need to install the CUDA package and as far as nvidia-xconfig goes it doesn't seem to exist. nvidia-smi isn't exclusively related to CUDA. Including it only with CUDA drivers doesn't make any sense. Please stop doing this. It isn't right.

[1]

https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2019/03/06/nvidia-drivers-in-fedora-silverblue/