Re: Allowing Epoch to be reset between releases

ZJ> This doesn't sound convincing at all.

I was not attempting to be convincing.

ZJ> We *know* that people miss announcements all the time. Dropping
ZJ> epochs would introduce yet another case where a "magical" step is
ZJ> needed at a specific time.

Personally I don't see it as being excessive.  Plus... if you're running
rawhide you do already have to deal with this, when it's done
accidentally.  I believe a proposal to do it in a coordinated fashion
actually helps the situation.

ZJ> We need to remember that dropping epochs also impacts any package
ZJ> which uses Requires/BuildRequires/Recommends/Conflicts/Obsoletes on
ZJ> the package dropping the epoch.

Yes, that was covered in previous discussion.

ZJ> All those will require periodic rebuilds. The problem is that those
ZJ> things don't necessarily follow the cadence of Fedora releases.

Yes, all of these are confounded by epochs currently.  I believe that
after the epochs have been removed, the situation is actually better
than it is now.

ZJ> The proposal to drop epochs sounds like a step that is problematic and
ZJ> causes extra work now and ongoing for third-party packagers.

Personally I just don't see the problem.  I'm not saying that it has
nonzero cost, but I don't see it as being major.

ZJ> And the problem that it solves is niche. The cost of the solution
ZJ> doesn't seem justified.

I wonder how the existing RPM-based distros which allow epochs to go
away between releases handle this.  Aren't we the last one that doesn't?

 - J<