Re: Orphaned packages to be retired (Java packages in 3 weeks)

On Tue, 2019-03-12 at 21:24 +0100, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 3:11 PM Jakub Jelen <jjelen@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2019-03-12 at 13:43 +0200, Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:
> > > Hmm,
> > > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/java-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/MQMRQVENBLDRS67WLNQ7EOCMSDI5WIET/
> > > seems that people had a lot of time to act and get involved.
> >
> > Unfortunately not everyone who happens to maintain a java package
> > is in
> > the java SIG and reading the mails there so I think this mail
> > should
> > have been sent at least to fedora-devel too, maybe even announce
> > since
> > it is touching so many packages (dependencies).
>
> I did send an announcement to devel list several months before to
> orphaning packages. The above message from java-devel was linked on
> devel list.
> See:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/YFUXS7ZX6UDEMEKJWONKFMVDTSBABZID/

Thank you for pointing to the thread. Really, but saying "some" is not
what was is happening now. If it would say "most of", I could have
stopped to read it half a year ago.

> > I see that Mikolaj already did a lot of work of moving his packages
> > the modules, so a mail with simple instructions "this is a list of
> > things that I did for my packages and if you depend on them, do it
> > also", would save many maintainers as me hours of searching the
> > sparse
> > modularity documentation.
>
> The approach I used to build my modules should be described in "MBI
> (playground 2.0)" on this list. I don't want to spend too much time
> on
> describing the process in very detail - I am actively working on an
> improved process that will require less resources.

This is very appreciated. I read through that email thread and the
document, but I was not really more clever from that.

Just out of curiosity I started reading through the list of packaged
that I would have to take to build my package and that is more than I
am really able to handle. And especially when you are working on better
way to package it in modules, it feels like waste of resources and
time.

I would appreciate if there would be a way to build normal packages
against modules (somehow?), but if using modules has only advantages, I
would be very interested to do that too with my Java package. But as
already said by more people around, we really do not know how and we do
not have so much spare time to figure all of the details.

Regards,
--
Jakub Jelen
Software Engineer