Re: Orphaned packages to be retired (Java packages in 3 weeks)

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:36 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This whole process was handled in the worst possible way. To sum up:
> * No one knew Java SIG was having manpower issues because Mikolaj
> didn't know how to ask for help

You did not know that, but the situation in Java SIG is well known to
Java SIG members. Statistics speak for themselves.

For example, the packager who owns the most of Java packages (point of
contacts for 480 Java packages) made his last commit in February 2017.
The second maintainer (PoC for 94 Java packages) had last commit in
2015. The fourth (PoC of 55 packages) - last commit in March 2017. And
so on.

Situation on mailing list is not much better. Less than 20 mail
threads in each of years 2018 and 2017. Compare with more than 150
threads in year 2013.

The last Java SIG IRC meeting took place in February 2013.

> * Now it's too late because he orphaned nearly 1700 packages to force
> modularization

I did not orphan that many packages. I orphaned about 250 packages only.

It is not too late for anything. Orphaned packages can still be
adopted. That's the whole point of this thread.

> We could have avoided the bad ending if at any point there was an
> official call for help to increase Java SIG manpower. There wasn't. We
> could have avoided this if there was a discussion before the
> orphaning. There wasn't.

We don't have any official process for calling for help. Other distros
(at least Debian) have it, but not Fedora.

Discussion requires more than one participating party. I started a
thread on java-devel list where I explained the situation and my plans
in detail. There was no reply on the list, not a single message. I
only had one or two private conversations about this problem.

> We could have avoided the bad ending if people dependent on Java
> packages were given the opportunity to help. As you say, this is a
> community distro. That goes both ways. But that didn't happen.

IMHO I've been very patient. I've given the community a lot of
opportunity to help. I never refused any help. I was and I am still
working with new contributors that want to become packagers.

--
Mikolaj