Re: Fedora 30 Beta blocker status mail #3

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 1:38 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 12:56 PM <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 1:18 PM, Adam Williamson
> > <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I requested testing on desktop@ and test@ lists earlier this week; so
> > > far that seems to suggest that this is failing for a lot of people on
> > > lot of hardware...but it also fails the same way on F29 in most cases,
> > > suggesting we shipped F29 broken as well. I don't think we've yet had
> > > feedback from a system where nomodeset is actually *needed*, which
> > > would be interesting.
> >
> > Please also consider that the target audience for Fedora Workstation is
> > not going to know about nomodeset or how to modify the kernel command
> > line. So unless we have some specific release criterion referencing
> > nomodeset, I'm not sure why it would be a blocker.
>
> The installation media, netinstaller and Live, on both UEFI and BIOS,
> contains a boot menu with a Troubleshooting submenu, which contains a
> boot entry to boot using Basic Video, and that in turn has the
> nomodeset parameter already set.

I'd say in order of preference:

1. Basic video menu entry should work
2. If basic video menu entry is chosen, but can't work, it should fail
better than it does now. Even if some things were to crash, just to
break out of the black screen and get the user to a prompt, is better
than the current behavior.
3. Basic video menu entry should be removed

2 and 3 might seem reversed, and maybe they are, but I'm cutting us
some slack to offer a chance of booting with basic video as a fallback
option. But yeah, if the fallback option

--
Chris Murphy