Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal: Gating Rawhide - Single package updates

On 3/2/19 5:02 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 06:57:48PM -0800, Tom Stellard wrote:
>> On 03/01/2019 01:19 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/GatingRawhideSinglePackageUpdates
>>>
>>> == Summary ==
>>> We want to gate packages on test results before they can land in
>>> rawhide. This will reduce the amount of broken dependency,
>>> uninstallable packages and broken composes leading to a more stable
>>> rawhide as well as less work on the infrastructure and rel-eng teams
>>> to keep composes working.
>>>

>> Does the gating prevent packages from being tagged at all so that they
>> won't even end up in the buildroot, or does it just gate packages from
>> going into a compose?
>
> It gates the package from entering the buildroot, which will impact the packages
> going into a compose, but as a side effect.

Given it blocks packages from entering buildroot, I wonder if it is a
good idea to start gating whole Rawhide lifetime, I mean, from the
starting of a ready-to-release release branched out of Rawhide?

My case is, we have a set of packages to update each release. They
cannot do in parallel - they depend on one another. Currently we only
update them in Rawhide, because each package can get into buildroot
shortly after we build it, and we don't need to file a
buildroot-override. Once even packages cannot get into Rawhide
automatically (for example, I need to click a "waive test result" or
something), this is more like a burden.

As for the Single build updates vs multi build updates ratio, I don't
quite understand what the number is from - does it comes out of Bodhi?
If it means the updates in Bodhi, I want to mention that, in my case, I
never want to update multi build updates in a stable (or post-freeze)
release. Thus I seldom file multi build updates in bodhi. Especially we
don't need to file Bodhi to get packages into Rawhide at this point,
this maybe misleading in deciding to enable gating for Rawhide.

As a summarize, I think it is a good idea to have some sort of gating.
But I think we need to think carefully if we do really need to gate Rawhide.

> [...]
>>> ==== CI system ====
>>> Nothing should change for the CI system but we will have to confirm
>>> this and test in staging that they behave as expected.
>>>
>> I think this issue might have to be fixed first, otherwise we would end
>> up with a lot of false negatives:
>> https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/general/issue/20
>
> Thanks for your feedback, I'll follow up on this ticket to see if we can get it
> sorted out.
>

> Pierre

Zamir SUN
GPG : 1D86 6D4A 49CE 4BBD 72CF FCF5 D856 6E11 F2A0 525E
Want to know more about Fedora?
Visit https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
Ready to contribute? See https://whatcanidoforfedora.org/
想了解更多中文资讯,访问 https://zh.fedoracommunity.org/