Re: F30 change, bootloaderspec by default

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 1:08 AM Javier Martinez Canillas
<javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 5:28 AM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BootLoaderSpecByDefault
> >
> > I want this change to succeed but I'm experiencing a regression, and
> > while trying to troubleshoot it I'm finding it difficult to understand
> > the myriad differences:
> >

> Is this on F29 or Rawhide? Also, it's on an EFI or BIOS install?

Rawhide UEFI. I thought it was a regression compared to grubby and
grub2-mkconfig, because the problem doesn't happen with them. But
those tools work directly on the grub.cfg which on UEFI only ever
appears on FAT. Meanwhile, blscfg's .conf files are located at
/boot/loader/entries which on this particular test setup is subject to
zstd compression, and GRUB doesn't yet support zstd compression. GRUB
couldn't read the file contents, therefore it's not a regression, it's
a missing feature. Removing the compression solved the problem.

> > there's a lot of grub2 documentation in Fedora and outside Fedora, all
> > of which conflicts with this feature. And Fedora's experts in QA and
>
> Could you please elaborate a little bit? If you see a big mismatch
> between some documentation and how the BLS support behaves, please
> point out so we can try to make it more transparent for users.

If a user has bootloader related issues, I ordinarily would only ask
for a copy of the grub.cfg. But with bls systems, I need to ask for
the grub.cfg, all the .conf files, and the grubenv file. All of them
need to be interpreted. Each of those files are only described in
generic terms by upstream GRUB, and no one else is using those files
in the specific way they're being used in Fedora.

Between this feature for F30, and the F29 feature to hide the grub
menu which comes with boot success+fail marking by using the grubenv,
there are substantial changes in bootloading on Fedora that exist no
where else and near as I can tell there is no documentation at all. I
can't really call specs we don't fully follow, or feature pages, to be
documentation.

> On Rawhide the blscfg command now supports to load BLS entries to
> troubleshoot these cases. For example you should be able to do:
>
> blscfg (hd0,gpt2)/loader/entries/
>
> to load all the BLS snippets from a directory or:
>
> blscfg (hd0,gpt2)/loader/entries/loader/entries/036f3661be4047b6b678d491f76df6f4-5.0.0-0.rc4.git3.1.fc30.x86_64.conf
>
> to load a single BLS snippet.

Ok that is a useful troubleshooting technique. In my case this was
totally silent, ergo it found nothing even though there were files
there. Adding 'set debug=all' and then following that up with blscfg
exposed what directories it was looking at and the contents weren't
readable - and that's when I clued in.

--
Chris Murphy