F30 change, bootloaderspec by default

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BootLoaderSpecByDefault

I want this change to succeed but I'm experiencing a regression, and
while trying to troubleshoot it I'm finding it difficult to understand
the myriad differences:

- I can't find the code. I assume all of it is in grub as blscfg.mod
and grub2-mkconfig and its associated scripts in /etc/grub.d but I'm
not seeing code or code reference in the change or here
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/grub2-efi-x64-modules/

- I can't find any documentation. In particular documentation that
explains how it differs from upstream logic and what files the user
should be interacting with to do typical tasks (typical for those who
tend to interact with the bootloader which should be a minority of
user); I know those differences are really substantial, not least of
which is how to change boot parameters. This is important because
there's a lot of grub2 documentation in Fedora and outside Fedora, all
of which conflicts with this feature. And Fedora's experts in QA and
those who interface with user as volunteer support agents, will need
to thoroughly understand the change, otherwise I'm concerned the
common advice will become "reinstall" or even just disable this
feature.

-How does the blscfg module find /boot/loader/entries? Is this path
hard wired somehow? I've got three different installations, all three
have identical grub environment variables shown by "set" command, and
yet one of the installations doesn't find /boot/loader/entries so the
only menu entry is to enter firmware.

- Is upstream expected to eventually accept this change? Have they
given feedback on the change? Are there any other distributions
planning on adopting it, maybe downstreams of ostree?

--
Chris Murphy