Re: MBI (Playground 2.0)

On 2/4/19 4:03 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:

> Aside from the times when it falls over for various reasons, I've had
> entire days where I wait for a build to even start, because people who
> use it for doing things like building KDE, chromium, or the Linux
> kernel occupy literally all the available builder slots for a long
> time. There aren't that many slots and it's easy to fill that up.
> There's usually a large queue of packages to build, but not enough
> builders to allow them to get done.

Well, thats not supposed to be the case. Each user is given a limited
amount of slots, so if say I dumped 100 kernels on it, it would only do
a few of those at a time. So, sounds like a bug in allowing people more
slots than they should have?
> That indicates two things:
> 1. The builders are weak and so builds take a long time (which means
> slots are held up longer)

Could be indeed. Could look at increasing the size...

> 2. The demand and popularity of the service isn't being handled
> appropriately (i.e. it should get more builders provisioned).

Well, there's another issue here that seems to be a copr bug (see below)

> I don't do things like build kernels often, but when I do, it usually
> doesn't take all day. But stuff like Chromium is hard to build
> locally, so I appreciate that we have somewhere to build and publish.
>
> But, as of right now, there are 16 tasks running, with 85 tasks
> waiting for a builder.

Yeah, but copr is allocated the following:

150 instances
200 vcps
488 GB ram

So, either copr is loosing track of it's builders or openstack is doing
something odd and not really providing that. I know openstack has
accounting issues, but I do see about 65 or so builder instances, so I
think this is on the copr side. So, fixing this would go a long way to
helping out.

Additionally, sometimes jobs finish, but copr shows them as still
running. For example, the oldest job now:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/omos/kernel-testing/

which copr shows running for 11 hours, the logs show it's done (I don't
know how long ago as there's no timestamps).

> I wish we had visualizations like the ones OBS has[1][2], so that we
> have an idea of how stuff is occupied and know at a glance that we're
> over capacity.
>
> All I know right now is that it's easy to see that COPR gets into a
> state where I just wind up waiting for builds to even start.
>
> [1]: https://build.opensuse.org/monitor
> [2]: https://build.opensuse.org/monitor/old

Well, we do have:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/status/stats/
but some of it doesn't match up with osbs, since copr builders are dynamic.

kevin