Re: Strange rawhide behaviour

On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 05:27:45PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 3:51 PM Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2019-01-30 at 15:37 +0100, Michal Schorm wrote:
> > > Right.
> > >
> > > Yes, I'm trying to test the installation from the mirrors. There will
> > > be a delay.
> > >
> > > Buildroot repo != compose repo.
> > > That's where I was mistaken.
> > >
> > > Case closed, I'll wait :)
> >
> > Just as a note, what's in the 'rawhide' repo right now differs quite a
> > lot from what's in the buildroot as we haven't had a successful compose
> > since 2019-01-21. This is for various reasons - most recently
> > libreoffice needed rebuilding for the poppler soname bump and did not
> > build successfully for nearly a week, and now lorax has a dependency
> > issue.
> >
> > (it occurs to me to wonder whether it should be a matter of policy that
> > soname rebuilds that involve libreoffice must be done in a side tag,
> > but Rawhide package gating may render that concern obsolete soon).
>
> I would, as a matter of principle, refuse side tags as an acceptable
> solution unless all packagers were given the ability to open and close
> side tags freely for this purpose. Any comprehensive solution that
> would permit Rawhide gating must also permit people an easy way to
> submit and merge a multitude of things at once. Otherwise, we're just
> screwed and everything gets harder and moves slower. :(
>
> As an aside, this is the first time in a while I've heard Rawhide
> gating brought up. Is there a discussion somewhere about this?

It's been in the air for a while and we had a concrete plan for it for a while
as well but it has not been prioritised enough until basically two weeks ago.
I am trying to get all the people who will be involved to review the current
proposal, once it is something that I feel confident about, I'll send an email
for more feedback to this list as well as submit it as a change proposal.
So do expect to hear more about this before the end of the month :)

If you want more info, I'm happy to provide them but I'd rather not expose this
to a broad audience until there is no agreement between the different
maintainers of the applications impacted by this change.

I hope this makes sense.

Pierre