Re: Proposal: delay F31 release to work out infrastructure and lifecycle challenges

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 8:22 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 3:03 PM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There's no facts or details, to quote "The reported speed increase for
> > transactions is substantial. This may solve (or greatly reduce) the
> > compose speed problem, TBD." but it doesn't report the context of the
> > "speed increase for transactions" .... like which transactions?
> > There's a lot of I/O heavy processes in the compose, like createrepo,
> > that don't run any rpm tracsactions what so ever.
>
> Paul was referring to image creation here. We should be able to get a
> fairly significant (at least one order of magnitude) speed-up on
> creating any image that runs an RPM installation transaction. I'm not
> sure how much that will save in the *whole* compose process, but as
> it's an identified spot where we know how to optimize it, we should do
> so.

But ultimately removing rpm transactions is an optimisation to rpm
which, when it lands, the compose plus numerous other compoents that
use that code path will just consume and at that point get the
benefits of, it's not a reason to skip a release nor is it going to be
a revolution that gets the composes down to an hour. I don't believe
that that alone is and order of magnitude change, do you have any
actual hard figured to back the statement up?