Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 5:30 PM Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 18.11.18 um 23:19 schrieb Neal Gompa:
> > I think it's quite obvious why. No one can really influence what's in
> > CentOS. Red Hat Enterprise Linux itself is developed mostly behind
> > closed doors, after forking a Fedora release.
>
> that must be why they ship a completly closed source windows....

But for Windows, ODMs/OEMs benefit from the ecosystem of components
already building and targeting for that platform. And even Microsoft
does provide toolkits and assistance for major PC makers to better
support the Windows platform. And the Windows release lifecycle is
directly set up to support PC makers.

Fedora has a wonderful advantage in that our ethos and practice in
developing the distribution[1] often means we're directly plugged in
with the various upstreams and can help make things better. We can
provide that ecosystem value for PC makers, and by that token, we can
add major value over other Linux distributions and offer a positive
relationship to PC makers to encourage them to ship Linux on their
PCs, specifically Fedora.

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Staying_close_to_upstream_projects