Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 08:36:46AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 06:12:11AM +0100, Michal Schorm wrote:
> > We, as a distro, just take a different approach.
> > To be bleeding edge requires to have releases often.
>
> But being "bleeding edge" has never been what Fedora's about, despite
> getting that epithet slapped at us. Yes, we want innovation and new
> software, but we also want software which *works*. We want to provide a
> consistent, pleasant, and functional user experience, without getting
> metaphorical blood all over.
>

> [...]
> > What I wanted to express by this message is the fact, prolonging
> > software support time in Fedora means *a lot* of low-level work TBD.
> > I can maintain it either "bleeding edge style", geting users new
> > features literally ASAP, or "LTS style" defend the database from any
> > update to not break anything, bugfix and security fix only. (I'm doing
> > it for RHEL after all).
> > But not both.
>
> Lots of good feedback, but I want to focus on this last comment.
>
> It sounds like you are actually already doing both approaches -- the fast
> branch for Fedora and a slower, RH-internal branch for RHEL. What if you
> made that slower branch *also* in Fedora as a direct upstream for your
> internal RHEL work? Fedora is supposed to be the upstream for RHEL, after
> all. Why not make that true all of the time, not just every N years when
> RHEL branches?

Because each old version is different? The fact that a backport has
been made for RHEL does not mean that this backport is appropriate for
the given Fedora version. Iff this was so simple, we could just take
CentOS packages and compile them for Fedora.

In my experience, backporting even to older version of Fedora is
proportional to the number of branches. This is because the diff between
F-2 and F-1 is just as large (on average) as the diff between F-1 and F.

(That was the technical consideration. There's also the social side:
working on new&shiny that you use yourself is fun, doing the same for
old and stable versions is a job.)

Zbyszek