Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On 11/14/2018 11:35 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
If Fedora had longer life cycles, and more streams maintained in
parallel, then I think the result would be that I end up doing
rebases for everything I maintain rather than trying to backport
anything. Admittedly this would somewhat negate the supposed benefit
of having stable long life releases, but its either that or the
releases bitrot accumulating more & more bugs & security flaws.

I agree, this would lead to too much workload on the maintainers if we
just add a new long-lived branch. There's already rawhide, F29, F28, F27
which is already quite a lot of branches to maintain.

However, I think this could work if we change how long we maintain the
non-LTS branches.

If we reduce the non-LTS supported time from 13 months to, let's say, 7
months (2 months overlap to allow for time to upgrade) then perhaps it
could work? And then add a LTS branch that's supported for 3 years? We'd
have the same number of branches as now, just that one is LTS.

--
Kalev