Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 10:19:32AM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 06:12:11AM +0100, Michal Schorm wrote:
> > We, as a distro, just take a different approach.
> > To be bleeding edge requires to have releases often.
> >
> > That allow us to manage changes like GCC, OpenSSL and so on quickly.
> > Struggling with upstream who don't adapt, can't adapt or don't want to
> > adapt at the same speed. (And OpenSSL patch isn't something you'd want
> > to write for serveral pojects you maintain ...)
> >
> > That is what make us different distro with its own user base. Want the
> > very same but LTS system? try CentOS. Or RHEL.
>
> +1
>
> As can be clearly seen from the breadth of the update streams, once F+2
> is released, F+1 still gets a moderate number of updates, but F only
> gets major bugs fixed, at best. Some maintainers care more, some less,
> but it's pretty obvious that our "oldstable" release is not where the
> maintainers are. Now imagine how well we would support F-4 (36 months)
> or F-6 (48 months). I'd guess "not at all".

It is not so much whether we "care", but rather whether we have enough
time in the day to get the expected work done. I can't magic up more
time to work no matter how much I care to.

Even with the current lifecycle, once a new stable Fedora release comes
out, I'll usually only backport security fixes to the previous stable
Fedora release from that time onwards. Any other bugs will only get
addressed in the most recent stable release unless its trivial to do
the previous one too. In some cases I'll not even pretend to be able
to backport, and instead simply rebase all existing Fedora releases
to latest upstream versions every time.

If Fedora had longer life cycles, and more streams maintained in
parallel, then I think the result would be that I end up doing
rebases for everything I maintain rather than trying to backport
anything. Admittedly this would somewhat negate the supposed benefit
of having stable long life releases, but its either that or the
releases bitrot accumulating more & more bugs & security flaws.

Regards,
Daniel