Re: Ursa Major (modules in buildroot) enablement

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 6:06 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

> I find myself repeating this reply over and over again in various places...

Sorry about that.

> The feedback that we (Red Hat) got about SCLs that was filtered down
> to Engineering was this:
>
> 1) Customers really like having the option to install the version of
> software that their applications needs from a trusted source (the OS
> vendor/distributor)

Not surprising, especially when it comes to RHEL and its quite long life cycle.

> 2) Customers really *dislike* needing to modify their software to
> understand the SCL enablement process.

Really not surprising. Not that I find SCLs dis-likeable, but they
require active involvement (like virtualenv and other  similar things)
while the trend is to make things JustWork(tm) (off the top of my
head, "vagrant up", "docker run"...)

> 3) Customers very rarely need to install different versions of the
> same software on the same system. They use containers or VMs for
> separate applications.
>
> So with Modularity, we opted to drop the parallel-installability
> requirement in favor of parallel-*availability* and the ability to
> keep the packages installing in the standard locations (/usr/bin,
> /usr/lib64, etc.)

I missed that change, so that's one less peeve for me.

> This *is* a net improvement for the vast majority of deployments.

I sort-of put Fedora modules, Snaps and Flatpaks in the same bags and
at least for Snaps and Flatpaks it has always been a disaster for me
(only AppImage ever worked for me with that flavor of packaging).
Granted, it's not often that I need them so I haven't tested for a
while now, but it never ever worked for me.

Regarding modules, I superficially followed the early discussions
(things like the modulemd format, initial goals etc) but as soon as
the SIG was set up I lost track. I'm actually happy that the DNF
plugin materialized as a "dnf module [...]" sub-command, and I only
hope it won't break Fedora as I love it: First (and then stable for 13
months every 6 months).

Dridi