Re: IBM buying RedHat

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 8:32 AM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
These are questions I'm interested in answers on. However, I'm also
worried about how much the "cloud" was mentioned in the presser. It
makes me nervous about Red Hat's investment into other areas, which a
lot of the Linux ecosystem relies on, even outside of the Fedora
community. Desktop Linux, traditional server platforms, IoT, etc. look
like areas that might be disinvested in. :(

The press release's focus on cloud cloud cloud sure makes it sound like desktop team will be first in line for cuts. I think it's quite natural for Fedora Workstation users to be worried right now, given the lack of public statement regarding the future of Red Hat's desktop work. It goes without saying that Fedora will not have a very bright future if Red Hat's investment in desktop and Workstation were to cease or be significantly reduced.

Plus a lot of my friends work on desktop and they will be :( :( :( if their jobs go away.

Michael