Re: IBM buying RedHat

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 8:14 AM Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 4:48 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 07:44:12PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > It'd be nice if someone from up top would deign to come and talk to us
> > > directly...
> >
> > Communications are pretty carefully controlled for regulatory reasons, and
> > the fact is even those at the top don't know everything yet. And speculation
> > is basically right out. That said, I'm working on what I can do here. Are
> > there specific things you'd like to ask?
>
> When did the engineering staff know?

I'm pretty sure it's obvious by this thread that everyone found out at
the same time...

> Will IBM push Red Hat towards, or
> away, from their current level of worldwide telecommuting? Whose
> management will be in charge on a day to day basis? What will be the
> relationship with Fedora? Will Red Hat engineers be as encouraged as
> they are now to publish software and fixes to the Fedora releases?
> Will the CentOS core development team stay employed by Red Hat?

These are questions I'm interested in answers on. However, I'm also
worried about how much the "cloud" was mentioned in the presser. It
makes me nervous about Red Hat's investment into other areas, which a
lot of the Linux ecosystem relies on, even outside of the Fedora
community. Desktop Linux, traditional server platforms, IoT, etc. look
like areas that might be disinvested in. :(

> What
> is the expected release date for RHEL 8, so I can stop building the
> *very* large dependency chains between current Fedora components I
> need to backport to RHEL 7 and CentOS 7?

Yeah, no. They're not going to answer this. I wouldn't even expect
them to. But a little sleuthing will give you some idea of when we'll
see the next RHEL release. :)

> Will IBM and Red Hat rein in
> the "let's replace another system function into systemd that has
> nothing to do with logging or daemon management" ?

Yeah, no. That's very pejorative. I wouldn't answer it even if I knew
the answer to it.