Re: F30 Self-Contained Change proposal: Pantheon Desktop

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 9:01 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 05:04:52PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > This Change is about simply adding Desktop Environment to fedora.
> > If we decide to make this a spin in the future, that will be a separate Change.
>
> I'm a bit confused about the scope of this change, probably because I've
> never used Pantheon. Is this change about "adding" or "upgrading"? IIUC,
> some older versions are already packaged in Fedora. Could you add a more
> concrete description of what will be considered a successful implementation
> of this change for F30?

Hi Zbyszek,

I see the source of your confusion now. I seem to have chosen a poor
wording in that sentence.
This Change is about adding the _missing pieces_ to fedora, and fixing
show-stopper bugs.

> Also, if somebody wanted to help, is there a "TODO" list that one could look
> at? Some packages are missing, but are there reviews for them, etc.

The "TODO" list is the bullet points below the packaging status table,
under the "Scope" section. I'll add a separate heading for it or move
it to a new "TODO" section.

I already packaged the "missing" packages, they're available from my
decathorpe/elementary-staging COPR repository. I didn't want to open
review requests for them until I was sure that they work correctly on
fedora. I'm maintaining the .spec files for the "staging" packages in
this GitHub repository for now:
https://github.com/decathorpe/elementary-staging-rpms
I try to closely follow the Packaging Guidelines even for my COPR
packages, so moving them to fedora when they're ready should be a fast
process.

> > == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
> >
> > Packages for the Pantheon DE and elementary applications have been available
> > since fedora 25 in some cases, and most components have been available since
> > fedora 27. Upgrading to the latest fedora release brings users the latest
> > versions of these packages.
> >
> > However, due to upstream changes, some desktop applications might lose user
> > settings when upgrading from fedora 28 to 29, because upstream changed their
> > GSettings path between releases. For that reason, the updates containing these
> > breaking changes were not pushed to stable releases &lt; 29.
>
> 29 or 30?

Both, but mainly 29. That's primarily caused by how the fedora and
elementaryOS releases lined up. I was able to push most non-backwards
compatible things to fedora 29 before the release today, but it would
have been way too late to announce an official "Pantheon" desktop for
fedora 29, since there's still some integration work needed.

Getting the components packaged and working on fedora was a multi-year
effort. So, I've tried to follow the relevant Updates Policy for
stable releases - since almost all components (especially the
applications) are independent, and can be used on their own. That's
the reason why the applications that contain non-backwards compatible
changes were not pushed to stable releases, but backwards-compatible
updates were pushed to all stable releases, where possible.

> > == How To Test ==
> >
> > * install the Pantheon Desktop Environment:
> > {{package|pantheon-session-settings}} (metapackages / comps groups not
> > yet available)
> Is adding the comps groups planned for F30?

Yes. See the last three bullet point under "Scope".

> > * choose Pantheon session at login
> > * use the system as usual
> > * try out elementary applications
> > * check if screensaver kicks in (possibly doesn't work yet)
> Is there a bug open for this?

The bug that locking the screen with light-locker on LightDM was
tracked on GitHub (it was opened before the packages were in stable
fedora). The screensaver / screen lock should now work in the LightDM
/ light-locker scenario.
https://github.com/decathorpe/elementary-stable-rpms/issues/9

There's no bug report for lacking screensaver support on GDM yet. I'll
open the necessary bug reports later today.

I'll also update the Change's wiki page with some clarifications.

Fabio