Re: F30 Self-Contained Change proposal: Pantheon Desktop

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 05:04:52PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> This Change is about simply adding Desktop Environment to fedora.
> If we decide to make this a spin in the future, that will be a separate Change.

I'm a bit confused about the scope of this change, probably because I've
never used Pantheon. Is this change about "adding" or "upgrading"? IIUC,
some older versions are already packaged in Fedora. Could you add a more
concrete description of what will be considered a successful implementation
of this change for F30?

Also, if somebody wanted to help, is there a "TODO" list that one could look
at? Some packages are missing, but are there reviews for them, etc.

> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
>
> Packages for the Pantheon DE and elementary applications have been available
> since fedora 25 in some cases, and most components have been available since
> fedora 27. Upgrading to the latest fedora release brings users the latest
> versions of these packages.
>
> However, due to upstream changes, some desktop applications might lose user
> settings when upgrading from fedora 28 to 29, because upstream changed their
> GSettings path between releases. For that reason, the updates containing these
> breaking changes were not pushed to stable releases < 29.

29 or 30?

> == How To Test ==
>
> * install the Pantheon Desktop Environment:
> {{package|pantheon-session-settings}} (metapackages / comps groups not
> yet available)
Is adding the comps groups planned for F30?

> * choose Pantheon session at login
> * use the system as usual
> * try out elementary applications
> * check if screensaver kicks in (possibly doesn't work yet)
Is there a bug open for this?

Zbyszek