Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

Ben Rosser <rosser.bjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2) What's the migration strategy look like? Can users on the mailing
> lists be automatically added to the relevant discourse lists?

Can the mailing lists be transferred from Mailman to Discourse and
continue to be the *same* mailing list, with the same address and the
same list ID? Because otherwise you'll break things for subscribers and
force them to redo their configuration.

Just force-subscribing people to a new mailing list won't cause their
local programs to handle messages the same way as those from an old
mailing list. Programs will correctly see a new mailing list that they
don't know anything about, and everybody will have to tell their
programs how to handle messages from this new mailing list.

Transitions like this are what the List-ID header field is for. Even if
the list address changes, the list ID is supposed to remain unchanged,
so that sorting and filtering rules can recognize the list. But I'm sure
many people select on the list address instead, so in practice you have
to preserve both the list ID and the list address to make the transition
smooth.

Björn Persson