Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

* Björn Persson:

> Ben Rosser <rosser.bjr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2) What's the migration strategy look like? Can users on the mailing
>> lists be automatically added to the relevant discourse lists?
>
> Can the mailing lists be transferred from Mailman to Discourse and
> continue to be the *same* mailing list, with the same address and the
> same list ID? Because otherwise you'll break things for subscribers and
> force them to redo their configuration.

Discourse uses labels instead of folders, and a discussion can have
multiple labels, so filing email into separate folders per topic (devel
vs legal vs docs) is tricky because you get only a single message.  It
can be done, but it's a bit of client-side work.

On the Rust Discourse instance, the email threading doesn't feel quite
right, either.

Email responses end up with hard line breaks in the web interface, which
may not look as nice as web-submitted contributions.

I assume that if you don't care about folders and threads, it will work
well enough.

Although it would make me sad to see the move.  Mailing lists are hardly
the main source of Fedora overhead for me.  That's dist-git and RPM
patch management. 8-(

Thanks,
Florian