Re: raise fileno limit to make Steam Proton / Wine+esync work well in Fedora

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 7:34 PM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mo, 15.10.18 18:00, Kamil Paral (kparal@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 6:15 PM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> > > Can we not have the RPM package drop a file in /etc/security/limits.d
> > > to set the limit only when that package is installed?  That way it
> > > only affects users of that package.
> >
> > That only affects stuff that goes through PAM (specifically, all PAM
> > stacks that include pam_limits.so).
> >
> > It is my intention to change this system wide, i.e. for system
> > services (which do not go through PAM) too.
> >

> Lennart, what is the path forward here? Should we pull in some security
> experts to give us recommendations on the best default value? Or are those
> conversations already happening somewhere else? Also, do you need any more
> information regarding the Wine esync use case, or has Zebediah provided
> sufficient data?

Please follow the current state of this here:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/10244

I have been discussing with some upstream kernel folks, and some more
obstacles showed up (specifically, I was advised that we really should
bump fs.file-max and fs.nr_open sysctls to their maximums these days,
as these limits are not really useful anymore given that fd memory is
properly tracked by memcg anyways these days), which I have now
covered in the PR above.

This is waiting for review, but should enter systemd upstream soon,
and will then eventually trickle into Fedora.

Zebediah, do you know about any other outlier except of Google Earth VR for which the newly proposed default limit of 256K wouldn't be sufficient?