Re: Guideline change: glibc malloc as the C/C++/Rust allocator

On 07/26/2018 12:24 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

>> FW> I would like to request a change of the Packaging Guidelines,
>> FW> advising packagers not to interpose malloc.
>>
>> How strong of a restriction are you looking for?  This sort of feels
>> like something which would at the strongest be a "SHOULD NOT" but maybe
>> you're looking for an absolute ban.
>>
>> Some maintainers may find it difficult to comply with an absolute ban if
>> the relevant software doesn't make it easy to change the allocator.  And
>> some upstreams may have strong preferences for one allocator over
>> another (which I imagine would often be linked to performance).  Will
>> assistance be offered to modify affected packages?  What about
>> contacting upstreams?
>>
>> How many packages would need to change to meet this guideline?
>
> Just FTR, there is ongoing discussion about changing default to jemalloc
> in Ruby:
>
> https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14718
>
> Wouldn't it be better if glibc maintainers joined such discussions to
> improve glibc malloc implementation?

This is an orthogonal problem. I've responded in the Ruby ticket.

Improving glibc's malloc will take time, and we have already started.

We tackled performance for qemu and DJ Delorie implemented lockless thread
caching to reduce the fast path just like tcmalloc and jemalloc.

The next step is to tackle RSS and it is poorly understand and non-trivial.

Cheers,
Carlos.