Re: FC4 slimfast slimfest

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:51:00 -0700, Tyler Larson
<fedora-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There are 2 different but related problems. 1) Making sure users have the disks they need for what they want. 2) Making sure the installer doesn't let users try to install items
don't have the disks for. (assuming of course a non-networked install)

[...]

installed later after firstboot from media or from the network. Even
then.. solving problem 1.. prevents this all together.

-jef

True, but as you pointed out, solving problem 1 is a difficult task. And then, even with a sophisticated CD-selection web application, you can rest assured that most people won't use it. They'll get the CDs from their friends, or from their network administrator, or they'll just download all of the ones they think they might use, just in case.

My opinion is that we solve problem 2 ('cause it need solving anyway), and give some general guidelines for problem 1 (e.g. I would certainly not download a Java CD).