Re: In the OpenShift Origin/CRI-O/Kubernetes effort we have a dilemma.

Le vendredi 29 juin 2018 à 12:19 -0400, Lokesh Mandvekar a écrit :
> FWIW, a fun read from the debian pkg-go list about packaging docker
> https://www.mail-archive.com/pkg-go-maintainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> t/msg00032.html

And so what? I hit this problem months ago (and I have the github
tickets to prove it, with the Debian maintainers me-too-ing a few weeks
later). And some of those have been fixed since thanks to the reporting.

The problem is not this message, that's upstream software needing
fixing, we handle tons of those in Fedora all year round, the problem is
that you seem to find normal *others* identified it, you seem to find
normal *not* *involving* yourself in the reporting and the fixing, you
seem to find normal functioning in some sort of fourth dimension where
FLOSS community fixing and collaborating happens to someone else.

Go upstream state is a hard problem. But it needs to be solved because
no matter how you look at it there is a ton of go software that wants to
integrate with either kubernetes or docker. Stuff that is usually
*useful* for container users BTW. Stuff *you* could pull on for future
openshift enhancements if you made a minimum effort to nurture its
packaging in Fedora.

Making temporary exceptions for bits of bundling because they're too
broken to integrate right now is one thing. Passing on entirely and
letting the whole thing rot for years is something else entirely.

There is maybe 95% of Go packages that kubernetes need that present no
technical challenge to package as rpm and use as rpm (some of this code
has not been changed upstream for years!). The 5% remaining problem
stuff could be bundled and then chipped at years after year till it's
not a problem anymore. It *needs* chipping at to improve the codebase
and the maintainability of it all.

But you use this 5% as the reason not to play the game at all.

Why ?

--
Nicolas Mailhot