Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

>> > And in my opinion, it's not simple to say: OK if you have this size
>> > ESP to start, you get this layout, and if it's bigger you get this
>> > other layout, and if it's BIOS you have this 3rd layout.
>
> Chris, I have to say I'm glad you're part of the Fedora community - your
> input on this topic has been very valuable!
>
>> Well, for fresh installs[1] there is no reason to have efi and bios use
>> different layouts.  You can just do this:
>
> When you say "install" it really matters to say install of *what* - a
> desktop system, a physical server, a VM, etc.
>
> From my perspective (Fedora CoreOS developer) that straddles
> both physical and cloud for the server case, the problem is that
> the virtualized case, and in particular public cloud, and really
> specifically EC2 - no one really cares about EFI to boot their VMs.
> Except a special case here is "disaster recovery" scenarios where
> a physical server is imaged and uploaded to the cloud as a VM,
> and the topic of UEFI does come up there.  Apparently most
> implementations of this convert back to BIOS.

There's a lot of clouds going to uEFI now due to the Windows
requirement for secure boot so it's useful to have it on generic cloud
images.

> Don't get me wrong, I agree with Lennart (indirectly) in that it is
> kind of crazy how influentual the "Windows dual boot for desktop"
> case is on everything Fedora, which also includes physical
> servers.  But the virtualized case also pushes at this from the other
> angle.
>
>>   [root@ibm-p8-kvm-03-guest-02 ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sda
>>   Disk /dev/sda: 4 GiB, 4294967296 bytes, 8388608 sectors
>>   Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
>>   Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>>   I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>>   Disklabel type: gpt
>>   Disk identifier: 92035660-BEFD-45D5-9883-B2B91EC429D1
>>
>>   Device       Start     End Sectors  Size Type
>>   /dev/sda1     2048   10239    8192    4M BIOS boot
>>   /dev/sda2    10240 1058815 1048576  512M EFI System
>
> I wouldn't *oppose* that; in fact if you (or someone else)
> wanted to push for that with e.g. Fedora CoreOS, I'd be happy
> to discuss it.  But it's not like it has a truly compelling advantage
> over what we ship today - it'd just be *another* weird variant
> of things in the end right?

The other advantage of having a uEFI partition is you can boot one
image on hardware and VM, I'm planning that with IoT.