Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

On Mo, 25.06.18 13:22, Kyle Marek (psppsn96@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > So think about this one bit ahead. Right now it's clear that even with
> > Grub's relatively large contributor base it'shard to impossible to
> > support modern Linux file systems properly — even just for
> > read-only. See the the XFS debacle as one example, and that the kernel
> > folks made clear they only consider their own in-kernel implementation
> > to be supportable. Now, I'd assume that sooner or later features such
> > as boot counting are something we want for Fedora too (i.e. that we
> > can update the kernel, try to boot the new one a couple of times, and
> > when it fails all the time revert back to an older version, fully
> > automatically; in fact the fedora desktop have very recently started
> > work on that, though they have a weaker model of simply showing the
> > boot menu after failed boots, instead of reverting back). Now, in that
> > model you need to count the attempted boots somewhere. Thus you need
> > write access somewhere (and no, EFI variables don't work for this,
> > they are not suitable for stuff changed on every boot, as their memory
> > is generally not ready to be written too that often). Which hence
> > means you need write access to some file system in some form from the
> > boot loader. And how do you think that's going to work out if already
> > read access to modern file systems is, well, a desaster?
>
> I think it is better (especially for recovery scenarios) if bootloaders
> operate read-only. I think things like boot counting should be
> disregarded simply to preserve read-only access.

Well, most other big OSes actually do implement boot counting in some
form, even Linux based ones (such as ChromeOS). It would be a pity if
Fedora would make its choices in a way that this can never be
implemented.

boot counting is currently being worked on by the desktop folks, in
context of the "no boot menu" feature, so that they can reenable the
boot menu if a previous boot failed.

But it's useful for unattended systems in general, be it servers or
appliances: if a boot fails there generally should be a way to recover
the system through rebooting without manual interfering. Quite
frankly, it's quite surprising we haven't implemented anything like
that on Fedora/RHEL at all yet, as it's a major piece in making
unattended system updates less risky.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat