Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

On Mo, 25.06.18 09:09, Andrew Lutomirski (luto@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> Now let's think this through.  You're proposing that $BOOT be the
> ESP.

Yes, I think that's wise, but the boot loader spec allows $BOOT to be
separate from the ESP, so I am not sure why you are warming this up
again.

You can merge $BOOT with the ESP and be conforming to the spec, but
you can also separate the two, and you are still conforming to the
spec. I'd propose for Fedora to use a merged setup when it works, and
a split setup if it doesn't, but it's also OK if if always splits it.

The questions whether to merge or split them is very much independent
from the question which fs to use for $BOOT, and that's actually what
has been discussed most recently in this thread. Let's hence focus on
that, thanks!

> This fails (f) entirely.

I don't think you ever had a look at the boot loader spec, did you? I
invite you to have a look:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/doc/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION.md

If you look there you'll find that it doesn't state what you appear to
think it states, it's fine without UEFI, it just makes some additional
recommendations on UEFI, which you however can decide to ignore.

> but vfat + mdadm 0.9 and 1.0 fails (e) catastrophically.  If we

So, which file system would perform better than fat in this case and
would still be suitable for a boot loader? It's generally the
journalling file systems that can provide better data protection, but
they generally are the ones that don't work properly from boot
loaders, see xfs mess (which is mostly about r/o access, but r/w is
certainly much worse), and there's no perspective for this to change.

And again, it's not that we have complex access patterns on $BOOT. We
never change files, we just create them as one linear blob, and remove
them again. Both operations should totally be implementable in a
fail-save mode onm FAT.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat