Re: FC4 slimfast slimfest

Alan Cox wrote:
On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:01:29PM -0700, Tyler Larson wrote:

Brilliant idea. Solves all our problems, but creates a set of new one.
Like, for example, what will the ISOs look like?

CD #1 	Download only this CD for a base install and use yum to add packages
CD #2,#3,#4  (for now) Fedora Core packages. Download for updates/installs
			via CD/DVD

Java CD	Optional   Download for java packages
Games CD Optional  Download for extra games

etc..

This still sounds like most people will download all (or almost all) of the CDs in order to install the packages they want.

However, I really like the idea of installing a base OS from just one CD and installing the rest of the system using yum or up2date. After all, most users will have to update the majority of the packages they've just installed immediately after their first boot.