Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

On Mi, 20.06.18 19:28, Chris Murphy (lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >> Except, it's not simple for installers to migrate to a new bigger ESP
> >> in the dual boot case. And having different layouts for UEFI and BIOS
> >> and whether there's dual boot or single boot, isn't simpler.
> >
> > Again, if you don't want to resize the ESP, then go for option #2
> > above. But if the ESP is usable, then go for option #1.
>
> In 100% of the cases where the ESP already exists, it is too small to
> share. No one. Not Apple, not Microsoft, not Windows OEMs, not Fedora,
> not any distro, creates an ESP bigger than 550MB. Typical is 99MB for
> the Microsoft installer (I have a laptop partitioned by Microsoft's
> install, not an OEM installer, and it's 99MB), and 128MB for Apple,
> and 200MB for Linux distros. None of these are big enough to share.

On my Lenovo I got an ESP of 256M, and I use it happily and without
issues for systemd-boot. Maybe that's anecdotal, but all this entirely
besides the point.

Fedora is not a system that is exclusively dual-booted. it's entirely
fine to follow slightly different setups if fedora is installed onto a
system that already has Windows installed, or if a fresh full-disk
image is generated for it, that can be installed by "dd" or such.

All I am saying is that if you built a clean image, i.e. do not do the
augment-an-existing-windows-installation dance then there's really no
point in doing two partitions...

(And quite frankly, I still don't buy the "ESP resizing is totally
impossible" thing. It's not. When you install Fedora onto an existing
Windows installation disk, you have to resize/move the Windows NTFS
partitions anyway to make space for Fedora. And if you do, you might
as well move the ESP too. I mean resizing/moving the ESP is a lot
simpler and less dangerous than resizing/moving NTFS. But this
discussion is entirely pointless anyway, as $BOOT may be separate from
the ESP according the spec.)

> And the ESP partition is wedged in, again in 100% of cases. It can't
> be resized in place.
>
> Therefore, Option #2 will be extremely common. What percent of Fedora
> users dual boot? I have no empirical data. I'd guess 1/2.

Fedora generates cloud images and suchlike. All those images really
don't need to bother with compat with Windows.

> You have to decide which is more important. Broad adoption, which will
> require equal doses of compromise and simplicity. Or narrow
> adoption.

Yupp, compromise is already built into the spec. If it wasn't for
compromise then $BOOT would not exist as a concept, and we'd just
always use the ESP.

> And as Fedora is right now looking to implement BLS, what did they
> actually do? Adopt the BLS file format and drop in concept, and
> abandon the other 90% of the spec by punting.

Yeah, what Fedora is doing has nothing to do with the boot loader
spec, that's true. It should really drop referencing the spec.

But seriously, $BOOT may be separate from the ESP. It's fine if Fedora
implements it separately, and totally conforming to the spec. I am not
sure what you even are insisting on here. You appear to say that
merging the two should be *against* the spec. But why do you even
care about that? You can totally choose to implement the "keep $BOOT
separate from the ESP" part, and ignore the "merge $BOOT with ESP"
part. It's *entirely* fine if Fedora does it that way.

> I'll tell you what. Maybe consider a general purpose layout and a
> simplified layout. The typical layout represents a compromise no
> matter the firmware, and no matter what OS is already present - your
> option 2. This would be used for workstations, and any case where dual
> or multiboot is expected. And for things like Fedora VM images, IoT,
> possibly server, possibly ARM - where the sharing aspect of $BOOT is
> not expected or a consideration, go with the simplified layout - your
> option 1.

But this is what the spec pretty much already says! It says: merge it
if possible, split if if needed. How you define "possible" and
"needed" is up to you. All the spec tries to make sure though is that
once the decision is made for a specific image the other parties that
might want to process the entries know how to find the thing.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat