Re: F29 System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Till Maas <opensource@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 02:30:20PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> I think it needs to be made specific, unambiguous, and deliberate. Yes
>> this means it is also obscure if you don't know the decoder ring, but
>> worse is when the decoder ring is either random or changing all the
>> time. But for that we get to thank companies that somehow find
>
> Another thing came to my mind: Usually when someone needs to get into
> the menu, it is because something is not working and needs to be fixed.
> This can be a stressful situation, therefore adding extra stress by
> making it hard to fix it instead of making it easy to get help is not
> nice.

And I agree. This feature proposal is full of traps. :-) And that
alone is a reason for high levels of scrutiny and caution. The status
quo might be kinda klunky and ugly and geeky and obscure, but it
pretty much harms no one, and even if confusion is harmful, it's 6
seconds of it.

So as much as I like pretty macOS functionality, I'm not in favor of
half ass pretty that makes life difficult for even more people. If we
want to do it correctly it's a lot more work than is in this proposal.

Right now this proposal is a solution in search of a problem.

--
Chris Murphy