Re: F29 System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 02:30:20PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:00 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III

> > If we're going to patch grub to expand the set of keys it will watch
> > for, is it possible to just expand the set to encompass all keys?  We
> > don't really need to make it that hard to find the grub menu, do we?
>
> I think it needs to be made specific, unambiguous, and deliberate. Yes
> this means it is also obscure if you don't know the decoder ring, but
> worse is when the decoder ring is either random or changing all the
> time. But for that we get to thank companies that somehow find

Accepting all keys is not random and is also not something that needs to
be changed all the time. Can you maybe show some scenarios where it is
actually a problem? The instructions for end-users should still be
clear, nevertheless, e.g. just tell them whatever button to press is the
best one, but also help the helpless who do not know which button to
press. Also it would be awesome if it was still possible to easily
reboot to grub after the kernel took over, e.g. from the harddisk
password screen, GDM login screen and Gnome logout dialog. Then you can
just make it user-friendly and obvious.

Kind regards
Till