Re: F29 System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu

On Thu, 31 May 2018 14:36:39 -0500
Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> that they don't want to see the stuff and indeed, what we should be
> going for is a completely smooth transition between the BIOS logo and
> the login screen, with no flashing back to text mode.  I am pretty
> sure that's the end goal here and hiding the grub menu by default is
> just a step in that direction.

I've been thinking about this, and see an opportunity for
monetization.  Instead of the user staring at the splash screen until
the login comes up, we could sell advertising.  Static jpgs.  Facebook
or Google would probably be willing to throw a few hundred thousand if
we did that to have their ad flash instead of the splash screen.  Or
even Microsoft and Mac might want to advertise their OSs to a possibly
receptive audience.  If that doesn't fly, maybe RedHat would be willing
to advertise their server OS, or Fedora could put helpful hints up,
like pointing to the user list, or how to contribute, or where to find
documentation.  Maybe all of the above, randomly selected each boot.

Paid advertisements could contribute to Fedora development.  Pizza at
the development conferences, or more hardware for build and test.  I
have to confess I'm more comfortable suggesting this because I'd never
see such ads.  :-)

Tongue-in-cheek, sort of.  Hey, why not, everyone else monetizes
everything.