Re: F29 System Wide Change: Move /usr/bin/python into a separate package

On 24.5.2018 00:13, Ben Cotton wrote:
On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 6:05 PM, Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This change indeed is not very beneficial to user installs. Except maybe for
highly experienced users who would like to ship their own /usr/bin/python
(except I don't think that's a good idea anyway).

The benefit here is for the distro itself.

I get that, but an internal benefit that ends up breaking users'
software is not beneficial to Fedora.

How exactly is this change breaking users' software? We certainly want to avoid that.

Couldn't we accomplish the same
thing by doing a side build against a modified python2 package but not
propagate that out to the users?

How does that force the maintainers to fix the packages? We tried to check what packages use /usr/bin/python during build. There is a huge warning in the build log and a failed Taskotron check if the package uses it. Nobody (or close to nobody) cared.

--
Miro Hrončok