Re: F29 System Wide Change: Move /usr/bin/python into a separate package

On 23.5.2018 20:36, Ben Cotton wrote:
And so if the python symlink is a separate package that always gets
installed alongside python2, then is there really any benefit to this
change?

This change indeed is not very beneficial to user installs. Except maybe for highly experienced users who would like to ship their own /usr/bin/python (except I don't think that's a good idea anyway).

The benefit here is for the distro itself.

It's a preparatory change for python2 removal that should make sure we don't accidentally ship bits that rely on "python" being there and being python2.

Breaking things is the only way we find sufficient for the packages to change. Also, rendering the packages FTBFS would give us some idea about them being (un)maintained.

Dealing with all the python2/python3 thing, we get an impression that there are plenty of packages simply using "python" laying dead for ages. We need to know what's the real impact of removing python2 if we keep dragging them around and keep them working.

Packages that follow the guidelines don't need to worry.
Packages that don't will get a build failure reminder.
Packages that are dead will die (or somebody will resurrect them when orphaned).

--
Miro Hrončok