Re: F29 System Wide Change: Move /usr/bin/python into a separate package

On 23 May 2018 at 18:05, Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 23.5.2018 20:36, Ben Cotton wrote:
>>
>> And so if the python symlink is a separate package that always gets
>> installed alongside python2, then is there really any benefit to this
>> change?
>

> This change indeed is not very beneficial to user installs. Except maybe for
> highly experienced users who would like to ship their own /usr/bin/python
> (except I don't think that's a good idea anyway).
>
> The benefit here is for the distro itself.

So from the change request.. I thought it was for the users.
'''
The upstream
recommendation (PEP 394), which we try to follow in Fedora, is that
users -- not distros, and not sysadmins -- should be in control of the
python command.

'''

To me that says /usr/bin/python should move to alternatives.. and the
user is in control of it. That still does the items below..

> It's a preparatory change for python2 removal that should make sure we don't
> accidentally ship bits that rely on "python" being there and being python2.
>
> Breaking things is the only way we find sufficient for the packages to
> change. Also, rendering the packages FTBFS would give us some idea about
> them being (un)maintained.
>
> Dealing with all the python2/python3 thing, we get an impression that there
> are plenty of packages simply using "python" laying dead for ages. We need
> to know what's the real impact of removing python2 if we keep dragging them
> around and keep them working.
>
> Packages that follow the guidelines don't need to worry.
> Packages that don't will get a build failure reminder.
> Packages that are dead will die (or somebody will resurrect them when
> orphaned).
>
> --
> Miro Hrončok
> --