Re: Purpose of non-user visible groups in comps?

On Mon, 2018-05-21 at 10:49 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:

In general, non-user-visible groups exist for a couple of purposes.
Many exist to be used in the compose process - they define groups we
want to pull into images, but we don't want users to be able to use
them directly. Another case is the critical-path groups, which exist
specifically for the purpose of defining the contents of the 'critical
path' and not for any other purpose - it wouldn't make sense for these
to be visible in anaconda/dnf.

> I'm looking at updating the groups in comps for MinGW and there is already
> a mingw32 group but it's not user visible.
>
> My plan would be to update it so there is a user visible group, something
> to the effect of "MinGW Development" that would install a basic mingw
> development environment for both 32 and 64 bit windows applications.
>
> Is there any special handling that needs to be done of the old group? Or
> should I leave it alone and just create the new group?

I am always fond of referring to G.K. Chesterton when this sort of
question comes up:

https://www.chesterton.org/taking-a-fence-down/

that is, before changing anything, figure out *why it is the way it is
now*.

With that in mind...let's go detecting. The group was added in 2009 by
Richard Jones and, at that time, was user-visible:

https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/c/70f5f78b356c97a3b79a1a38b9a2ff573ad5f316

It was made non-user-visible by Bill Nottingham, in this commit, for
the F18 release:

https://pagure.io/fedora-comps/c/2adbfb571ed41f3b45618126d39613a279c4435b

The commit message is:

"Assorted cleanups & additions.

1) Mark a bunch of components that are showing up in the installer where they shouldn't as not-user-visible.
2) Add some more proper clustering & HA groups rather than the old one."

So, I guess the thing to do would be to ask Bill how he came to the
conclusion that this group "shouldn't" show up in the installer, and
whether that conclusion is truly/still valid. Let's CC him! And
Richard, too.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey