Re: I would like to propose that we turn on XFS Reflink in Fedora 29 by default

On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 18:16 +0000, Neal Gompa wrote:

> > CW> I'd say it makes sense to revisit the default here globally in
> > CW> Anaconda.
> > Maybe.  Have the issues which made XFS less suitable for use on laptops
> > been resolved?  The primary one I recall was that each mounted
> > filesystem would have a corresponding kernel thread doing about 20
> > wakeups per second.  This was not really good for battery life and power
> > consumption in general.
> > Last I checked (which was 2016 or so) those wakeups were slated to be
> > around for a while longer.
> > https://www.spinics.net/lists/xfs/msg40210.html
>

> And there's still the fun restriction of XFS not being able to shrink. It's
> not particularly important in the server case, but in the desktop/laptop
> case, it happens enough in my experience that I'm not sure I'd want a
> default filesystem that can't shrink.
What about putting it on top of a thin-LV then ? With over provisioning you
could even share space efficiently between root & home and would get other
features such as efficient CoW snapshots.

Of course as with any thin-provisioning you are also giving up things,
such as easily finding out how much free space is actually available to
a given storage volume.